As we move closer to lifting travel restrictions, some states will allow intrastate travel while others will need to wait longer for their turn to open. To support local tourism industries, we’ve done some research on local traders delivering fresh produce. Inspired by the Empty Esky campaign to support local businesses affected by the Australian bushfires, we’re expanding this concept across Australia and New Zealand to bring you our list of 15 recommended local produce suppliers that you can reach online now even if you can’t get to them just yet…
New South Wales
1. Located a half hour drive from the charming town of Cowra, Rosnay is an organic vineyard and orchard in Canowindra. Established in 1997, this family-owned business is known for their certified organic wines, olives, and figs. Alternatively, visit the Cowra Visitor Information Centre’s online store to order locally made jams, chutneys, honey, and more.
2. Darkes Cider is named after its location in Darkes Forest, close to the Dharawal National Park. A family-owned farm, Darkes Cider aims to deliver fresh cider locally and in the Sydney markets. Choose between ‘Howler’, their first cider made from their own apples, and ‘Little Blue’, a non-alcoholic cider best served with a side of garnish fruits.
3. South Coast Distillery was created by housemates looking for the perfect gin to make the ultimate martini. Today, they have a growing line of reputed products available in the Illawarra region. Their top-selling products include their award-winning flagship Sublime Gin, Escarpment Vodka made from 100% Australian-grown whole malted wheat and the Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur. With new releases lined up for 2020, there’s more than one reason to keep an eye on South Coast Distillery.
4. A not-for-profit social enterprise, Green Connect is a farm that involves growing organic and free-range food with the help of former refugees and young people. They aim to reduce waste to landfill and eventually run zero waste events. Take a look at their ready-to-order fresh seasonal fruits and vegetable boxes here.
5. Beer lovers, it’s time to try a craft beer from the famous Five Barrel Brewing. This award-winning microbrewery located in Wollongong has a range of refreshing craft beers and ales. Take your pick between core, barrel aged, seasonal and limited beer online on the Five Barrel Brewing site.
6. Buy everything from homeware, wellness products to vegan groceries at Nurcha – the perfect destination for conscious shoppers. This family-owned business is offering home delivery or drive-thru pick up for all plant-based groceries including Nurcha-made frozen meals.
7. Provenance Wines has vineyards across the Geelong and Ballarat regions. The cellar door is housed in one of Australia’s few remaining original paper mill industrial complexes. Our recommendation: try their popular Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
8. In 2008, Master Artisan Baker, Graham Gardner made it his life’s mission to find an alternative to accommodate gluten intolerant people and coeliac sufferers. And just like that, The Healthy Loaf was born. Choose from a range of 100% gluten and preservative free breads, rolls, wraps and pizza bases.
9. Founded in 2015, Farmer’s Harvest is a Farm Gate grocery that sells home grown and locally sourced fresh produce from the Bellarine region. Take a look at their online store with all the essential local, fresh produce.
10. Established in the Bellarine Peninsula in 1997, Manzanillo Grove produces fine quality Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil that’s used to create a broad range of products like dressings, infused oils, and more. Manzanillo Grove has won several awards in the past decade and continues to deliver high quality olive oil.
11. Wildings Pantry Essentials deliver pantry products made with all natural ingredients to your doorstep. Their range of products include spices, cookies, dressing and more.
12. Established over 2 decades ago, today, Huka Honey Hive offers ethically sourced New Zealand-made honey, mead and honey-based skincare products. Browse through their products online and once the lockdown restrictions ease, book your trip to this exciting Taupo attraction for the full Huka Honey Hive experience.
13. Shop from a variety of 30 fresh figs and fig products at the Te Mata Figs, an award-winning family-owned company located in Hawke’s Bay. There are several gift boxes to choose from along with baked figs, chocolate caramelised figs and more!
14. The Mudbrick Vineyard was established in the late 90s. What started as a family project has grown into a popular vineyard in Waikehe Island. Join their club, buy gift vouchers, or buy Mudbrick wine on their website.
15. Three Boys Brewery started over 15 years ago and has grown into Christchurch’s largest family owned brewery. Ingredients used for the brews are sourced locally – from Dunsandel and Nelson. Three Boys Brewery is open for contactless rigger fills – browse through their range of beers today.