I’m probably not the only person who wondered what on earth was going to happen with all that expensive infrastructure at Sydney Olympic Park after the 2000 Olympics were over! Well fortunately, it’s far from going to waste and the mini city has become a playground for fitness fanatics, families and kids.
View this post on Instagram
Have you got your tickets to Christmas Wonderland at Sydney Showground yet? From now until Christmas Eve enjoy festive carnival rides, Christmas activities and an outdoor icerink .. you can even get a photo with the man himself! #sydneyolympicpark #christmas #sydneyshowground #sydney #carnival #santa #festive
The Kids in the Park program runs year round, ramping up around summer and school holidays and ranges from free self guided activities to structured workshops and holiday camps. Some of the free activities available for kids and families include:
- Bird watching – there are over 180 species living in and around Sydney Olympic Park.
- Bush walking and hiking through the 640 hectares of the park can take you through a huge range of different habitats and past historic sites such as the Newington Arms.
- Clue Trails – download one of the five different clue trails from the Sydney Olympic Park website, follow the clues and learn more about Sydney Olympic Park.
- Amazing Chase – download one of the two Amazing Chase instruction sheets, jump on your bike and challenge your friends to a race to answer the clues and find the checkpoints. Great fun for all the family.
- Visit the outdoor art – Olympic Park is home to over 50 pieces of urban outdoor art – expose the family to a bit of culture!
- Have a picnic or BBQ – there are literally 100’s of places to lay your picnic blanket or fire up the barbie, many close to pretty waterways, free parks and exciting interactive playgrounds.
- Movies by the Boulevard – In January Cathy Freeman Park is transformed into an outdoor movie theatre showing free family friendly films. You can pack your own picnic or buy your food and drinks there from a range of vendors.
- Monster BMX Track – bring your own bikes or hire one for the day and let the kids find their inner BMX bandits on 250 metres of winding dirt tracks, wild downhills and crazy jumps. There are also kilometres of cycling tracks throughout the park if the monster track is too much for your kids.
- Disc Golf – sort of like golf with a Frisbee, this fun new sport is taking off! Bring your own Frisbee and get it into the ‘hole’ (a metal basket on a pole) in as few throws as possible before moving onto the next hole.
In addition to the free activities (of which I’ve only mentioned a few!) there are dozens of kid-friendly activities that attract a small charge including:
- Swimming – at the Sydney Aquatic Centre which includes water slides, interactive water activities, diving boards and a rapid river ride.
- Urban Jungle – an outdoor high ropes adventure course in the tree tops.
- Flying Trapeze – learn how to flip, swing and fly through the air like a professional.
- Archery – all equipment and instructions are provided at this fun family activity. See who can get closest to the bulls-eye in your family.
- Laser Tag – the only time the kids are allowed to shoot at mum and dad!
- Monster Skate Park – bring the scooter, skateboard or roller blades and let the kids run wild in a session in the skate park.
- Segway Tours – learn how to ride a Segway in a fun safe environment.
The list goes on and on.
This is just a small selection of the activities for kids at Sydney Olympic Park. The school holiday programs also include arts and crafts, sports clinics, film making, writing workshops and more. Sydney Olympic Park is a complete holiday destination for families – you can easily plan a week or more here and do something different every day.
Related: NSW School Holidays (Term Dates & Holiday Planner)
Accommodation near Sydney Olympic Park
If you’re planning on spending a couple of days exploring the park why not book a night or two at our Burwood Hotel Comfort Inn & Suites Burwood which features one and two bedroom suites ideal for families only 3 kilometres from Olympic Park.